Drug Class and Mechanism of Action of Imitrex
Imitrex is an anti migraine medicine. Migraine is due to dilatation of blood vessels in the head and Imitrex causes constriction of blood vessels in the head, thereby relieves headache. Imitrex is very good in relieving headache but it is not useful for prevention or reducing migraine attacks.
Therapeutic Uses of Imitrex
Imitrex is used in the treatment of migraine headache and cluster headache.
Direction of use of Imitrex
Imitrex is taken orally with a glass of water. Take Imitrex if you get symptoms of migraine. Sometimes you may need 2 doses of Imitrex to relieve the symptoms but do not take more than 4 doses at a time without consulting your doctor or other healthcare worker.
If You Miss a Dose of Imitrex
Imitrex is used only during migraine attack or cluster headache. So missed dose is not a problem as you are taking it when you need it.
How to Store Imitrex
Imitrex should be stored at room temperature. It should ideally be stored in a dry, dark and cool room out of reach of children.
More Information About Imitrex
Talk to your doctor or other health care provider if you have any doubt about Imitrex. Do not allow others to take your Imitrex. It should be taken by you only if it is prescribed for you.
Precautions to be Taken While Taking Imitrex
Consult your doctor or other health care provider if you have any of the medical condition listed below:
- If you are allergic to Imitrex or any of the ingredients used in its manufacture.
- If you are suffering from Raynaud syndrome (peripheral vascular disease affecting small blood vessels of peripheral organs).
- If you have heart diseases like transient ischemic attacks, uncontrolled and very high blood pressure, past history of strokes etc.
- Consult your doctor before taking Imitrex if you are a smoker, have high blood pressure, diabetes or high blood cholesterol.
Possible Adverse Effects of Imitrex
- The common side effects of Imitrex are nausea, dizziness, drowsiness and fatigue. If they become bothersome or lasts for longer time, you should consult your doctor.
- If you get any of the serious side effects stop Imitrex and consult your doctor immediately. The serious side effects of Imitrex are allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; or hives); irregular heartbeat; severe and/or prolonged chest pain; severe stomach pain; chest, jaw, neck pain or tightness; unusual weakness, numbness, changes in vision etc.
- There are also some less serious side effects of Imitrex, if you get any of the less serious side effects keep taking Imitrex and consult your doctor or other health care provider. The less serious side effects are nausea, drowsiness, dizziness; tingling, flushing, warmth, redness, or heaviness of a body part; injection site discomfort, unpleasant taste in the mouth, nasal irritation etc.
- If you get any side effect that is not listed above than also you should consult your doctor.